function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Suman MSuman M 

How to move huge profiles from one Sandbox environement to another.

Hi All,

Could someone please help me on the below scenario.

There are many profiles in one Sandbox, I wanted to move all the profiles from one sandbox environment to another sandbox. Now I'm doing this manually, by setting up each and every thing in every profile.

Is there any other way to do this. any way to automate this.

Please help me on this. Thank You

Jeff MayJeff May

You could look into using the Workbench to retrieve the Profile metadata from the first org, then deploy to the second org.  Be careful to move your custom objects first so the Profiles will deploy OK.

AshishyadavAshishyadav
Yes you can do .. go to Deploymnet coonections and see that you have sandbox to sandbox connection if it is there then check whether it is in green or red ... if green then you can transfer if not edit and change
Suman MSuman M

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.. Could you pls give some breif procedure to do this.. I have not used Workbench before.. Please help me with breif procedure to create metadata of profiles.  Thank You

Suman MSuman M

Hi Ashish,

I Have checked through Deployment Connections, But the two sandbox instances are not connected to each other. they are diff.. One is a Full Copy Sandbox under one Production Org, and the Other is Developer Sandbox under under diff prod Org.

Is there any other way.

Thank You.

AshishyadavAshishyadav
if they are in two different organizations then i believe it is not possible but within one organization two sandboxes are there then its possible...
Jeff MayJeff May

Take a look at the Metadata API doc (http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_meta/index_Left.htm#CSHID=meta_objects_intro.htm|StartTopic=Content%2Fmeta_objects_intro.htm|SkinName=webhelp) especially the part about Declarative file based operations. In summary, you will create a package.xml file then use the Workbench to retrieve the Profiles.  Once you have the resulting zip file, you can deploy it into the other Org.   It is your responsibility to be careful since metadata changes can cause problems.