function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
John L.John L. 

Is Data Loader access available on Enterprise (or Unlimited) Edtion for production admin users?

Hello,

I'm familiar with Developer Edition, but not Enterprise or Unlimited Edition.

Could someone verify for me that Data Loader can provide read & write access to production data via an Administrator userid? What, if any, are the restrictions on performing this type of Data Maintenance? I am familiar with other database systems, and this type of Maintenance typically occurs in a DBA sole-access time-window off-shift, without active production users using the system

The Data Maintenance I am looking to perform is solely initailizing new userids, passwords, etc.. My thinking is that this can occur during first-shift, with active users on the system, with no disruption of service.

Any experience  or insight you can offer would be appreciated.

venkat-Dvenkat-D

Yes, data loader is available in Unlimited edition. You can perform all the activities like insert,update,upsert,delete and export on objects with data loader . The only questionable area is resetting password for the users, which afaik is not possible.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Any user with "API Access" on their user profile may use the Apex Data Loader. However, their access will be restricted by the security model (field level security and record level security). Users without Modify All Data and Customize Application (I believe) won't see the link to download the API data loader, but they'll still be able to use it if they download by some other means (a dev org, another PC, etc). You can create custom profiles to restrict access if you wish to not have users access this feature. You can run the data loader at any time to update records, not just "down times." Users that start an edit page before an upload will receive an error if the record is updated before they save. However, the downside is that there is no such protection mechanism in the data loader, so a user that saves a record will have their changes overwritten if the upload happens after their edit. Of course, this only applies if there are fields that they edited that are also included in the upload.