function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CRMfusion - GWCRMfusion - GW 

MetaData API Samples

Are there any MetaData API .NET samples out there?
Mike LeachMike Leach
Simon has some fantastic samples on his blog: http://www.pocketsoap.com/weblog/category/_net.html
CRMfusion - GWCRMfusion - GW
Thanks for the response.

Simon was the one that assisted me in getting going on this task (He definitely knows his API).  The sample on his blog is the same issue we were working on and I'm sure it will help a lot of other coders out there who are investigating the MetaData API.

Some interesting things I found out about the API so far when dealing with Reports
- There is no way to determine the display name of the folder the report that is stored in from the MetaData API.  You need to get it from the Folders table
- The unfiled public reports folder is not returned with the listMetaData.  You need to know the magic name.
- The zip file can contain duplicate entries... Same file name with different case. (I have CustoemrstoTrain50.report and CustomersToTrain50.report in the same zip directory)
- .NET automatically decodes the base64 return for the zip file

I can see why the API exists in this structure but it would have been a lot easier if the reports (and their associated tables) had been exposed via the standard API so that the basic select, update, delted could be used.

Cheers;
GlennW
Mike LeachMike Leach

I suspect the metadata API serves the needs of the Eclipse IDE first and foremost (hence the ZIP format).

My preference would be for proxy object access to all records/metadata and not have to parse ZIP files, but it's good to see continued progress in this area.

The inability for partners to use Metata API on PE accounts (even with API token) was somewhat of a show-stopper for us.