function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
iGrafxAdminiGrafxAdmin 

Newbie question: Trouble with Force.com for ASP.NET Developers

I am trying to follow the tutorial Force.com for ASP.NET Developers posten on the WIki at: http://wiki.apexdevnet.com/index.php/Force.com_for_ASP.NET_Developers. I get stuck in trying to create the first VisualForce page, and I suspect there's a preceding step missing that I have not done.

When I enter the code, I am supposed to get challenged 3 times to createan Apex class and 2 Apex methods. I never get this message: Create Apex method 'leadLookupController1.getSearchString' -- instead I get a message Error: Unknown property 'searchString'.

<apex:page controller="leadLookupController">
<apex:form>
<apex:pageBlock title="Lead Search">
<apex:outputLabel value="Email" />:
<apex:inputText value="{!searchString}" />
<apex:facet name="footer">
<apex:outputPanel>
<apex:commandButton action="{!step2}" value="Search" />
</apex:outputPanel>
</apex:facet>
</apex:pageBlock>
</apex:form>
</apex:page>

Thanks in advance for your assistence.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
gringoesegringoese

Chris - I completed the Visualforce part of that tutorial successfully. I ran into the same problem, where I was not prompted to add the method for getSearchString. I just went to the Apex class for leadLookupController and added the method:

public String getSearchString() { return emailString ; }  

Once I did that I stopped getting the error. 

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf
Well does your leadLookupController have a getSearchString function?  Regardless of whether you're challenged about it, that's what the error message is trying to tell you.
gringoesegringoese

Chris - I completed the Visualforce part of that tutorial successfully. I ran into the same problem, where I was not prompted to add the method for getSearchString. I just went to the Apex class for leadLookupController and added the method:

public String getSearchString() { return emailString ; }  

Once I did that I stopped getting the error. 

This was selected as the best answer
iGrafxAdminiGrafxAdmin
Thanks gringoese for the help. Not only did that get me unstuck, on that step, but I was also then able to complete the entire tutorial.