function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mike @ PartnersMike @ Partners 

Use salesforce data base as websites data base

I am looking to use our salesforce data base as our websites data base as well. I am hoping to use it so clients can log-in at our website, and then access other parts of the site. The log-in information would be saved on saleforce system, and the log-in page would check with salesforce to verify the log-in information is in there. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to handle this?

Thank you
SkowronekSkowronek
Try using contacts as user account authentication. Use one salesforce account to do processing, then validate against contacts.
Gareth DaviesGareth Davies
We do this for our on-line license management.

The biggest issues are response time and security.

Response times are an issue because of the login overhead at SFDC. We work around this by maintaining an open channel to SFDC so we have a valid session always in play.

The second is done through Encryption - when we are internally communicating session credentials and by using a quarantined SFDC user account which has limited access and rights.
adamgadamg
are you authenticating to the contact by storing some kind of password on the contact record or using a self service user credential?
Sqware PegSqware Peg
We do this pretty regularly with applications that we build.  We store a username (email address)  and encrypted password (MD5 value) directly on the Contact record for authentication purposes.

BrunoBruno
I'm very interested in this topic since we'd like to provide our contacts with a secure section on our website and provide (among other things) access to the SFDC Self-Service portal without having to ask them to key in 2 passwords.  If possible we'd prefer to use the SFDC contact database for authentication.  Understanding that the Self-Service password cannot be accessed via the API for security reasons, has anyone figured out a way to do this?  Our platform is .NET 2.0.

Thanks in advance,
Bruno