function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AidenMAidenM 

Excel Connector - Update error

Hi,

I'm a sfdc sys admin and I've been using an older version of the Excel update tool and it works wonderfully.  I've tried using the new Excel Connector (v 4.58 10/7/04) and while I've been able to download data from salesforce.com, I keep getting an error when I try to update any records.  I'm using WinXP, Office2002 and the Office Edition Excel Addin 1.3.1.10.  The Connector is located in My Documents folder  and selected as an Excel Add-In.  I've tried to use it on several corporate PC's and my personal PC and against different tables (Account,User,Opportunity and Contact) but I get the same Update() error:

SalesForce: Update()
Invalid Range,missing data type or other unknown error
Object Required.

Does anyone know what could be causing this error and more importantly how to fix it?

Thanks.

Ron HessRon Hess

Two things, first is the new version is looking for the Salesforce Office Toolkit to be installed, you can find this under Personal Setup .. Office Edition

I really should have a better error msg if this COM toolkit is missing, my bad.

Also, the new version is in a file 'sforce_connect.xla' , the old file 'salesforce.xla' can be completely removed and unchecked in the Tools->Add-ins list.

Then you can "Browse" to get the new file loaded as an add-in.

hope this helps

AidenMAidenM

Hi Ron,

It seems my problem was that the old file not only had to be removed from the Add-In's list but I had to make sure it was deleted from the Tools...Customize...Toolbars list.

Thanks again for your time and effort for this tool.  It's made my life with salesforce.com a lot easier.

Aiden