function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SyllingerSyllinger 

How do I create table-driven picklists and where do I store the raw data?

Sorry in advance for the newbie question but, I am mystified as to how I should approach the following.  I am coming from humble beginnings as an Excel/Access developer, and my approach would simply be to create a custom field that is table-driven.  I might be over-thinking it, but I cannot figure out how to translate this into the SF environment.

Assume that I have created a custom form and a single database table with employee names and their corresponding ID numbers.  On the custom form, I would like to create a drop-down which references the employee names in this table.  Thus, any updates I make to the table are automatically captured in the form.  Then, when the employee's name is selected, I would like to populate an adjacent locked field with the corresponding employee ID.

First, I assume that I create a custom object and associated page layout for my form.  But, where do I store the raw data table, and where am I required to program the logic that populates the drop-down-dependent field?

Sorry guys, I'm hoping that once I get over this hurdle things will start to fall into place.

Shivanath DevnarayananShivanath Devnarayanan
Hello Syllinger,

Welcome to the world of force.com. Things will definitely fall into place and I assure you that you'll love the platform.

Let me try to take a jab at your requirement, from what I read I think what you may require is the following

In force.com Object = Table , Fields = Columns.

1) Object (custom / contact) to store the employee details ; assuming its not there already
2) and on the object you want to "lookup" the employee details, go ahead and create a lookup field to the employee object

3) for the locked field part of it, I'm assuming you require a formula field (read more : http://goo.gl/45Dt6 )

I may have not fully answered your question, but do let me know if we can solve it in more detail.