function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kabukabu 

What is the best way to make some of opportunity fields editable for few users?

Hi

I wanto update few fields on opportunity and rest of the fields are read only and it is for few users. is there a standard out of box functionality I can use that would give most the fields read only and few fields editable?

I can use different page layouts for some of the profiles etc.

What is the best approach?

thanks

K

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AshlekhAshlekh

Hi 

I think you can do this by editing Field Level Security and creating permission set.

Consider there is a two user. User A and User B. Now you want user a can see all fields and edit. but user b can only see some field and not able to edit.

Both user have same profile now. 

Now go to  the profile and go on the field level security section and clcik on the link of that object. 

In field level secuirty . there is check Box  of read only, Check the check box of that fields which you want user b can only read only. Now use can see that user a and user b is not able to edit that fiels which you have checked the checkbox.

Now create a permission set,In this permission set select the object setting and then select  the same object and edit it.now you can see the there is all fields and object setting . now check the check box in edit coloumn which you have select in filed level security and assign this permission set to user A. Now user a is able to edit that fields.

If this is your solution then marked this section as a answer.

And dont forget to click on kudo button or image.

Thanks 

Ashlekh

All Answers

Andries.NeyensAndries.Neyens

Page layouts are not the best place to take care of that.

Just configure your field access rules (http://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=admin_fls.htm&language=en_US)

and put the 'few users' in a another profile with more rights

AshlekhAshlekh

Hi 

I think you can do this by editing Field Level Security and creating permission set.

Consider there is a two user. User A and User B. Now you want user a can see all fields and edit. but user b can only see some field and not able to edit.

Both user have same profile now. 

Now go to  the profile and go on the field level security section and clcik on the link of that object. 

In field level secuirty . there is check Box  of read only, Check the check box of that fields which you want user b can only read only. Now use can see that user a and user b is not able to edit that fiels which you have checked the checkbox.

Now create a permission set,In this permission set select the object setting and then select  the same object and edit it.now you can see the there is all fields and object setting . now check the check box in edit coloumn which you have select in filed level security and assign this permission set to user A. Now user a is able to edit that fields.

If this is your solution then marked this section as a answer.

And dont forget to click on kudo button or image.

Thanks 

Ashlekh

This was selected as the best answer
kabukabu

Hi Ashlekh

Thanks for the great solution but my problem is when I give edit permission on the permissionset it provides Closedate and Oppty name and Stage as editable always. I wanted just one custom field to be editable  to specific user.

Is there a way I can make these standard OOB field readonly.

thanks

K

AshlekhAshlekh

Hi , 

These fields are required field on object level, so I you are giving the permission for create a record on object level then. By defalut this fields are readalbe and editable.

Thanks

Ashlekh

If this is your solution then mark it as a solution and don't forget to give me kudo's

kabukabu

I have given only edit permission in permission set and prfile the fields are read only except tese 3 fields.

So are you saying we can't make it read ony?

AshlekhAshlekh

Hi 

My means is to say that if a field is required on object level then we can no't make it as read only.

Thanks

Ashlekh

If this post helps you then mark it as a solution. And don't forget to give me kudo's. 

AshlekhAshlekh

Hi ,

My post is your soution then Please don't forget to give me kuso's I show your  appreication.

Thanks

Ashlekh