function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TLeahyTLeahy 

Beginner questions: Syncing Local and Production? | Duplicate Metadata components?

Just started using Force.com IDE and I've got some questions, probably very simple. Sorry if these seem inconsequential or a waste of time - they aren't very critical questions, but I just like to fully comprehend the programs I use.

So, Ideally I'd like my local files to reflect whats in production as accurately as possible, so I do not have to do all this logging in and selecting of specific data every time I start something new. The question is if doing something like that is advisable, or a poor idea?   

-----------------------------------

I'm sure they aren't duplicates, but I was wondering why are there two listings of custom fields on custom objects when choosing the metadata components on creation of a new project.?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Daniel.ReidDaniel.Reid

Hello,

Jumping in on a new tool can be daunting.  Especially one with as many features as Eclipse (the base upon which the Force.com IDE is built).  If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to insure that the code in your local copy matches what has been pushed the SF instance.  If you open the Package Explorer and right click on the name of your project, a (rather large) context menu will offer you a variety of things to do.  Go to Force.com and choose "Refresh from server".  That should pull everything down and copy it over the local files.  Is that what you were looking for?

As to your question regarding the login credentials, unfortunately I have not found a setting that retains these values for starting a new project.  I agree that its quite annoying having to enter it in every time you want to start anew.

Let me know if you have more questions, I'm always hapy to help.

Daniel Reid
Contact us - We can help!

Salesforce Superheroes
------------------------------
help@salesforcesuperheroes.com
www.salesforcesuperheroes.com
1-888-407-9578 x102

All Answers

TLeahyTLeahy

Oh, also, is there a way to save login information? So I don't need to re-enter login, password, and security token every time I make a new project?

Daniel.ReidDaniel.Reid

Hello,

Jumping in on a new tool can be daunting.  Especially one with as many features as Eclipse (the base upon which the Force.com IDE is built).  If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to insure that the code in your local copy matches what has been pushed the SF instance.  If you open the Package Explorer and right click on the name of your project, a (rather large) context menu will offer you a variety of things to do.  Go to Force.com and choose "Refresh from server".  That should pull everything down and copy it over the local files.  Is that what you were looking for?

As to your question regarding the login credentials, unfortunately I have not found a setting that retains these values for starting a new project.  I agree that its quite annoying having to enter it in every time you want to start anew.

Let me know if you have more questions, I'm always hapy to help.

Daniel Reid
Contact us - We can help!

Salesforce Superheroes
1-888-407-9578 x102

This was selected as the best answer
TLeahyTLeahy

Yea that seems like the answer I was looking for. It is a shame we cannot retain log in information, but I can deal with that. Now I just gotta figure out how to fix my force.com ide, because it won't open for me anymore, but thanks for your help!

MrTheTylerMrTheTyler

Providing you have a static IP address, you may be interested in setting up your trusted connections in your salesforce org to your IP.  Doing this will allow you to not use security tokens which can be a time-eater.

Regards,

Tyler

Tyler Hudson
Contact Us - We Can Help!

Salesforce Superheroes
1-888-407-9578 x123