function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DF007DF007 

Database.com

Hello All

I am new to Cloud Computing and Developer Force.  Therefore, apologies for such a fundamental question.

Excluding the fact that Database.com is a Cloud Database, what are the differenecs between Database.com and mySQL ?

Thank you, in advance.

Regards

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Comparison of the two directly is unfair. A partial list of additional features includes:

• SQL syntax differences: SOQL/SOSL provides robust relational queries directly
  • A mature indexed search system (SOSL)
  • Built-in role hierarchy and user permissions
  • Automatic relational data management
  • "No-Code" validation rules and automation
  • Streaming API: Get new results pushed a client as they appear
  • Bulk API: Upload data and let the system process it while your client is offline
  • REST API: A direct browser-usable interface, also great for lightweight DB access
  • Chatter API: A way to add "social" features ("likes", "follows", etc)
  • Point-and-click Configuration: Adjust database structures without any coding at all
  • Built-in business logic, such as automatic escalation of records
  • Internationalization, including currency, time zones, and language translations all built-in

In short, database.com is a complete suite, similar to using an entire WAMP or LAMP setup with a ton of custom scripts built-in, as well as award-winning physical and logical security, redundancy, high-availability, and so on.

(Note: I'm just a normal developer, and not paid by salesforce.com to endorse their products.)

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the platform.

DF007DF007

Thank you for your response sfdcfox, a really knowledgeable response.

I have a few further questions on the same topic :

1. I have a MySQL database, can this be 'converted' to a Database.com database ?  If no, is it a total re-write ?  if yes, what is the process ?

2. What skills should I be seeking in a developer to allow me to use Database.com ?

3. Can a MySQL 'type' developer / database architect migrate to Database.com quickly and easily ?

4.  Where can I find Database.com developers ?

Thank you.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

1) http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Metadata_Mashup_%E2%80%93_Exporting_MySQL_Schemas_to_Force.com

2) http://devcenter.database.com/page/Tech_Docs

3) Given 1 and 2 above, I would think so. The biggest problem is making sure your MySQL is normalized beforehand. A normalized database goes a long way into converting to salesforce.com.

4) Everywhere. Commonly cited locations include: here (see "Job Boards" in the navigation), LinkedIn, oDesk or eLance (for short-term work), salesforce.com's website (there's a page on there, but I can't seem to find it right now), the AppExchange (www.appexchange.com), a search engine query on "salesforce.com developers" or "salesforce.com consultants" (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc), and so on. There are a ton of certified developers, both independents and corporations, with various price ranges, services offered, etc.