function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
snairsnair 

Can someone help me with customizing the edit screen?

Hi,

Could someone help me? The company I work in uses salesforce. I want to customize my edit screen under the opportunity tab. Earlier, I thought it was possible using s-controls, but it turns out that it's not. All I want to do is add a line of text under the field that says sales manager name. Can anyone help me write the code for this if needed, or any help in general would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Sahil Nair
sfdev1sfdev1

You can add custom fields to your Opportunity by selecting Setup | App Set Up | Opportunities | Fields

Once you have created your new field you can insert in on the screen by selecting Setup | App Set Up | Opportunities | Layout

Thanks

Stephen

snairsnair

Hi,

I don't think that works. It's not a custom field that I want to add but a short note under one of the fields. I have managed to do that in the normal opportunity screen. But when I click into edit, the short note disappears. How do I get it to appear after clicking edit.

thanks,

Sahil Nair

Greg HGreg H
The edit screen is not currently as flexible as the detail screen. As you are already aware you can add inline elements to the detail screen such as sControls and Visualforce but you cannot add those elements to the edit screen.  Maybe in the future?

Anyway, if you are just looking to provide some level of notification for a specific field you can use the "Help Text" on the field.  Setup > Customize > Opportunity > Fields.  Then select the field to edit and add Help text from there.
-greg
snairsnair
Hi,

I did what you said. I got to customize->opportunity->fields, clicked on the field I want to edit. But I couldn't find anything that regarding the help text.
Thanks,
Sahil
Greg HGreg H
Here is the specific page from the online help about field level help text:
-greg
rpr2rpr2
Help Text can only be added (at least currently) to custom fields.  Is the field you are wanting to add it to custom or standard?

snairsnair

There are three fields in total. One of them is a custom field. The others are standard. Do you think it is possible to create a custom field, make it read-only, and make it look like a note under one of the fields?

Sahil

Greg HGreg H
Formula fields will not show up on the edit screen so any custom field you want to add for a note would literally look like a regular field.  This could be confusing to your users.

Can you group your standard fields into their own section on the page?  This would allow you to create another section and in that section header you could add your note(s).
-greg
SFGeekSFGeek
Hi,

You can actualy put up the text that you want to put on the top rather than at the bottom of the text box.
Create a section and you can put the note as a header in bold red so the user gets notified(HTML).

Thanks & Regards,

snairsnair

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. When you say text box, are you referring to the field? And how do I go about creating a section?

Thanks,

Sahil

rpr2rpr2
If the edit the page layout there is a button labeled:  Create New Section.  Choose that and in the next screen that displays, enter your instructions in the field called Name.  Be sure that you select the checkbox for Show Section Heading on Edit Page:

Rhonda

Message Edited by rpr2 on 07-21-2008 10:18 PM
snairsnair
Hi,

I did what you told me to. But that's not what I want. Here is an example of what I want.

Opportunity Name: abc
Sales Manager Name: abc, xyz
Note: Sales Manager Name Format should be Last name, First Name

It's the Note that I want in the edit screen.

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks,
Sahil
Greg HGreg H
As you now know the edit screen cannot be updated as you would like.  If you're not willing to try one of the many options suggested throughout this posting then maybe you should change the type of your sales manager field?  Make it a picklist where you provide the options and thus the formatting you desire?  Or create a lookup field to user or a custom object where you have sales managered listed?
-greg
Reliable65Reliable65
What you need to do is create an api code that pulls the manager field into the Opportunity record based on owner -
This is possible -
If you want to contact me feel free -

Best
Jenn

snairsnair

How do I do that exactly? I'm not too familiar with API code.

Sahil