function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
aezellaezell 

Logins Failing Now

I have some Python code that logs in to the API and now it returns this error:

LOGIN_MUST_USE_SECURITY_TOKEN

This also happens when I try to use SoqlExplorer on my Mac.

All of this code used to work. We did move offices since then and I'm sure IPs changed and that sort of thing. Would that cause this problem?

I also noticed that I had to go through some "activation" thing when logging in via the browser.

Has something changed in the login method?

Edit:
I just read this in the docs:
Salesforce checks the IP address from which the client application is logging in, and blocks logins from unknown IP addresses. For a blocked login via the API, Salesforce returns a login fault. Then, the user must add their security token to the end of their password in order to log in. A security token is an automatically-generated key from Salesforce. For example, if a user's password is mypassword, and their security token is XXXXXXXXXX, then the user must enter mypasswordXXXXXXXXXX to log in. Users can obtain their security token by changing their password or resetting their security token via the Salesforce user interface. When a user changes their password or resets their security token, Salesforce sends a new security token to the email address on the user's Salesforce record. The security token is valid until a user resets their security token, changes their password, or has their password reset. When the security token is invalid, the user must repeat the login process to log in. To avoid this, the administrator can make sure the client's IP address is added to the organization's list of trusted IP addresses. For more information, see Security Token.

That must be the answer.

Message Edited by aezell on 01-16-2008 11:39 AM
SuperfellSuperfell
http://trust.salesforce.com/trust/security/identity_feature.html
aezellaezell
Thanks Simon.

One (meaning me) should read the documentation before bleating about like some dumb sheep.

I think I emailed you about this same thing with regard to SoqlExplorer. Please ignore that email.

Thanks again.