function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hemmhemm 

Matching API Server Location to WSDL to Toolkit

I want to upgrade to the new version of the toolkit.  My plan would be to do that and also to use a 12.0 WSDL.  Fine so far.

However, this will be for an AppExchange application and the app has a Web Tab that currently passes the variable {!API.Partner_Server_URL_90} and I use that when establishing a Session connection.

Questions:

1)  If I keep everything in my code as-is, do I need to have all my users upgrade a new web tab to use {!API_Partner_Server_URL_120}?  What would happen if I used the new toolkit and WSDL, but the endpoint was {!API.Partner_Server_URL_90}?  Would it work fine until I made a call that the 9.0 server couldn't understand?

2)  Getting all of the users to upgrade their AppExchange app is not likely and I'd rather not code for 2 scenarios.  Suppose I were to ignore the information coming in the URL string.  How could I go about crafting the URL to act as the endpoint?  Is it always https://SERVER.salesforce.com/services/Soap/u/API_VERSION, where SERVER would be something I could determine by parsing the URL from the customer and API_VERSION would be 12.0 currently?

When I output the URL for my current connection, I get https://na2.salesforce.com/services/Soap/u/9.0/4c2400D300000000G66.  That last part contains an Org ID, but there is some info on the front.  How would I go about crafting this part?

Thanks
hemmhemm
Actually, option 3 would be to just use what is sent in the URL to me and replace "9.0" with "12.0" in code before I establish the Session connection.  Would that work okay?
SuperfellSuperfell
That'll work in this particular case, the rules around the 12.0 API still being the 12.0 API even after we've done upgrades effectively mean this'll continue to work. However it's not safe to say that this rule applies in all case, we may decide to use completely different URLs for the 14.0 API for example.
hemmhemm
So what you are saying is that, if I go with this approach, I need to test it as new versions of the API come out?  If so, that makes sense.

I will update my package and ask customers to upgrade their orgs, but I know it won't always happen in a timely fashion.

By the way, I went with option 3 where I just replace /9.0/ with /12.0/ and it's working.  For orgs not yet on Spring 08, I need to use /11.1/, which works.  Therefore, I'll roll this into Production after the Spring 08 upgrade has gone through on all servers.

PerlPerl

Hi hemm

I am newbie to salesforce, We are trying to connect to salesforce from PERL , we did the coding but we are getting the following error when executing the code

"500 Server closed connection without sending any data back at //pkgs/linux/intel/perl/5.8.8.rhas3.x86/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/WWW/Salesforce.pm line 469"

There is no issue with the user id and password we used , we are able to login to the portal and we are able to ping the site from the unix box.If you have already connected to the portal could you tell me the steps you followed to connect .

Do we need to  use the wsdl file for PERL also , if yes where should i keep the file

Thanks,

Prasanna

hemmhemm

Perl wrote:

Hi hemm

I am newbie to salesforce, We are trying to connect to salesforce from PERL , we did the coding but we are getting the following error when executing the code

"500 Server closed connection without sending any data back at //pkgs/linux/intel/perl/5.8.8.rhas3.x86/lib/site_perl/5.8.8/WWW/Salesforce.pm line 469"

There is no issue with the user id and password we used , we are able to login to the portal and we are able to ping the site from the unix box.If you have already connected to the portal could you tell me the steps you followed to connect .

Do we need to  use the wsdl file for PERL also , if yes where should i keep the file

Thanks,

Prasanna

This is probably the wrong thread for this question.  You should start a new thread on this board to get your question answered.  I don't know anything about Perl.