function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit 

I don't even know where to start...

I sort of fell into the position of being the database administrator.  I know html, but that's it.  I don't even know where to start for customization of SalesForce, though I think VisualBasics is worth learning.  Any suggestions for a complete newbie?  What version of VB do I need to know, who do I call, where do I start?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi RabidRabidRabbit,

The first place to start is to figure out what customizations need to be done.  Many customizations do not require use of the API.  Using the Setup link to access the Studio part of the app is where almost all customization is done.  The API, which is the central theme of this board, is generally used to integrate your data with salesforce.com and salesforce.com data with your existing applications.

I would also recommend that you investigate System Administrator training available from salesforce.com.  If you will be in the position of managing your companies salesforce.com account, you really should consider attending one of these courses.

This is a link to more info on training.

RapidRabidRabbitRapidRabidRabbit
Thanks for the clarification on what the API is for.  I have customized our SalesForce tabs extensively, but I feel that I have reached a plateau-I can't customize to the point where fields can calculate off of other fields and the like.  I also want to consider integrating SalesForce with Quickbooks, which we currently use for accounting.  Am I in the right place?
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi RapidRabidRabbit,

You are in the right place.  I believe we have a partner solution for quickbooks integration.  Calculated fields will be included in a future release, so you will be able to do those from the Studio portion of the app.

LCLC
Hi there:

Anyone wishing to cost-effectively integrate QB with SFDC should check out our AccountDynamics product. There's a short voice-over demo and an animated breeze presentation on our website at http://www.salescentrix.com/prAccountDemo.php. At http://www.salescentrix.com/prAccountD.php# there is a price calculator located just below the sforce logo where you can calculate the cost for various configurations.

We can also arrange an instructive on-line Webex demonstration of our product on fairly short notice. It typically takes about 15-20 minutes at most. Feel free to contact Alan at adavidson@salescentrix.com for more info.