function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
The_FoxThe_Fox 

Excel sforce connector:Issue with Geeting full data from TextArea in salesforce.com

Hi Ron,

I have an issue with textarea fields. I am trying to get the values from some textarea fields to automate some beautiful reports for our top management and only the 1021 or 1022 characters. So if you can have a look at it to be able to bring back all the textarea (that is a max of 32000 Characters.

Regards

PS: Office 2003 win xp sp2
Ron HessRon Hess
sorry, this limit is not in the API or in the connector, it is a limit in Excel
bummer, i know.

i might suggest the dbAmp from forceAmp, you can pull data into MS SQL or SQL Express and then pop up a datasource which allows the data to pull into Excel using Get External Data, oops, again you hit the limit of excel...

dang.
bouscalbouscal

The following is from the Excel 2003 Help files:

"Length of cell contents (text)32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar."
qmanqman

Are the "beautiful" reports being done with Excel or is Excel just an temporary stop for the data on the way to some report writer ?

Bill

Message Edited by qman on 09-27-2005 11:40 AM

The_FoxThe_Fox
Hello all

"Beautiful" was of course some way ironical

By the way only 1024 characters are available in the formula bar. So I suggest there might be a bug. Indeed this is true directly with the raw data from the sforce connector. Maybe you should put it in your code if size>1024 then cell=formula.

Regards

and thanks for the help

Message Edited by The_Fox on 09-28-2005 09:59 AM

Ron HessRon Hess
thanks for the correction, i will look into this ( i hardly ever read the help...)

I put in the truncation code when the connector crashed attempting to load data into the cell, i'll go back and try to load data into the cell after specifying the cell as a formula and see if that helps.
Ron HessRon Hess
ok, i will try this next time i open the code
The_FoxThe_Fox
Ok

Thanks a lot

PS: What about the little vbs I send you some month ago that allow to choose wich fields we want to see on the page
Ron HessRon Hess
please re-send, i think i've lost it
Ron HessRon Hess
I tried this, I am still unable to get more than 1024 chars into a cell or formula...
if anyone solves this , send me the code
thanks
The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi Ron,

First congratulations for your transfer in salesforce.com

Then i sent you at your past job sometimes last week a kind of code snippet to put data (> 1024 character) in a formula.

I post it there just in case
I imagine what you can do is something like in pseudo code

if salesforce.field is textarea and length (content) > 1020 then
cell.formula = salesforce field.value

Here is the code snippet
Sub Test_Formula()
Dim Tst As String
Tst = "Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,"
For Ind = 0 To 100
Tst = Tst + "Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,Lorem ipsum factet,"
Next Ind
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Formula = Tst
End Sub
Regards
Ron HessRon Hess
thanks, i understand now
i tried to set a long text field into a value, not the formula.

i may not get this wrapped into a release until the Winter06 goes out.

at that point, i would like to get a few other fixes i've been working on
including the office toolkit 2.0, soap API 7.0
and a fix for decimials in danish...

so look for an update then.
The_FoxThe_Fox
Hi Ron,

No Problem keep up with the good work

Regards