function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
htamhtam 

New custom field does not show up

Hi,

I created a custom field one (two days ago) and custom field two (today) on contact, however only custom field one shows up from sforce excel connector table query wizard. Is there any setting that I can change to include the new custom field two?

Any particular reason custom field two does not show up in excel connector while the first one does?

Many thanks in advance

bouscalbouscal
Hi htam, what type of field is the second one?  One possible reason that it isn't showing would be if it is a formula field.
htamhtam

Hi,

The first one is multi pick list and the second field is text area.

Thanks,

HTAM

Ron HessRon Hess
This is because you can't fliter on text areas, so they cannot be used in a "query"
if you try this you get something like
ExceptionCode 5077, field 'Description' cannot be filtered in a query call

so, the new field should show up in the columns when you do a description, but not in the wizard pick list because I check for field types which can be used in a query when constructing this picklist.
htamhtam

Ron,

Actually I did not try to do any query using those fields, just to describe the table. However only the first custom objects shows up and the second one (which is added later) does not shows up in table description.

HTAM

bouscalbouscal

Which table is the custom field on?

Are both custom fields visible within the application?

Does the custom field have a name similar to a standard field on that table?  (i.e. Description)

htamhtam

The fielda are on contact table and called groups (shows up) and temp_act_ID (does not shows up). Do we need to put them on page layout in order for them to show up on table description?

Thanks so much

HTAM

bouscalbouscal
They don't need to be on a page layout, they do need to be visible to your profile though.
htamhtam

I have the sysadmin access so I can definitely see the custom field.

bouscalbouscal

Try logging out your session, logging back in and re-describing.

SuperfellSuperfell
Even if you're sysadmin, then won't appear if they're set to be hidden in the FLS setup.
Ron HessRon Hess
Do you see the custom field in the Field list ( setups -> customize -> Contracts -> fields )
or
do you see the field in the detail page layout for the contract records ?

also, the com toolkit and connector caches the description, so logout using the connecor menu item should help if this is the problem
htamhtam

Ron,

Looks like login out and login back solve the problem.

Thanks

htamhtam
That solves the issue. Thanks all.
foghornfoghorn
Restarting is the correct fix for this. The officetoolkit only describes an entity once per session, so changes made to the entity in the online application (like adding new fields) will only be picked up on a restart.