function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mikeolmikeol 

How can I dump the RecordType field from a Custom Object?

Since Winter 06 Custom Objects now support RecordType.  Alas, I couldn't dump this field out using Data Connector or Salesforce's Data Loader.

But I fixed that by upgrade to Ron's January 2006 release of SF Data Connector 6.16, with SForceOffice 3 and under Options, Advanced, Specify Default Server URL on Startup: "https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/c/7.0".

So now I can dump, but it turns out only 153 records is all I can get out :(.  It seems I need 7.0 to get to RecordType BUT when 7.0 is used you can't dump more than 153 records.  When you do a query it says first 50 of 1000, 100 of 1000, 150 of 1000 and ends at 153.  This looks like the same problem as reported by The Fox in "Sforce Excel Connector issue?" on 28/02 (or 02/28 if you prefer).

What I want to do is change the RecordType for a bunch of records.  No problems, I'll do 153 at a time.

Wrong.  Any attempt to change th RecordType field results in the dreaded "Row Update Failed insufficient access rights on cross-reference id"

I'm stuck at this point.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I went back to Salesforce Data Loader and upgraded to the currently supported level (via Salesforce Data Management to 7.0).  The upgrade provides visibility to the RecordType field.  Note: SFDL allows me to dump all the records, not just the fist 153.  Alas, I get the same "insufficient access rights on cross-reference id" if I try to change the RecordType.

In summary I have two problems:

1. Sfoce Excel Connector wont load more that 153 record if using endpoint 7.0

2. Neither utility will allow me to change the Recordtype - both report "insufficient access rights on cross-reference id".

All help as always will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message Edited by mikeol on 03-04-200603:58 AM

Ron HessRon Hess
Please file a bug report that the  Data Loader is not allowing you to change record types on custom objects, since it is a supported product this avenue is going to give better results than waiting for the chance that I can fix the connector any time soon.

mikeolmikeol
Alas.  It was my fault.

I hadn't allowed myself access to the record type I wanted to change it to (and I've fallen for this trap before).
Go to  Setup | Manage Users | Profiles | [Profile Name] to add the record type to your profile.

Thanks.