function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Frank_LopezFrank_Lopez 

XML-RPC 2.0 to SOAP 7 question: a field access member value of "display" maps to what in SOAP?

When using XML-RPC 2.0, the fields substructure members includes an "access" member that indicates the access restrictions on the field.

The documented values for the "access" member include "select", "filter", "insert", and "update".

Within our code, I found that there can be a 5th access value, "display", which is not in the developer documentation.

For example, if you look in the below snippet of XML-RPC derived text for the Account Schema, for the "description" field you will see that it has access values of "display", "select", "insert", and "update".

QUESTION: For the undocumented access member value "display", does anyone know how to find the same field-level access member value using the AppExchange v7 SOAP API?

WHY: We have code that does something different based on whether or not "display" is set for a field, and so I'm trying to find the SOAP equivalent to this XML-RPC access value.

snippet of XML-RPC XML text for the account schema

<struct>

<member>

<name>access</name>

<value>

<array>

<data>

<value>display</value>

<value>select</value>

<value>insert</value>

<value>update</value>

</data>

</array>

</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>display</name>

<value>

<struct>

<member>

<name>rows</name>

<value>

<int>4</int>

</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>type</name>

<value>textarea</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>label</name>

<value>Description</value>

</member>

</struct>

</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>type</name>

<value>string</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>label</name>

<value>Account Description</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>length</name>

<value>

<int>32000</int>

</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>field</name>

<value>description</value>

</member>

<member>

<name>byteLength</name>

<value>

<int>32000</int>

</value>

</member>

</struct>

SuperfellSuperfell
What does your code do differently when it sees display ?
Frank_LopezFrank_Lopez
For the XML-RPC view of the world...

If a field does not have a field "select" access value but it has a field "display" access value, we ignore it.

However, with our current test accounts, using the XML-RPC logic I cannot find a single field that has this combination, but our code does this, and so apparently there is a reason for this logic.

SuperfellSuperfell
as far as i can tell, display will only appear if you ask for the layout as part of the describe.