function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jyoti_tripathijyoti_tripathi 

Space in User's Email address.

Hi,

I have to add salesforce users in my Org, and the Email addresses of those users have space for example: clarence_matherson jr@gmail.com.

I found out that the standard Email address can have space[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address], but Salesforce does not allow me to create such a user, it screams "Invalid Email address". Does anyone have any pointers?

Note: I tried to follow the above link, and gave quotes for username like ["clarence_matherson jr"@gmail.com] and it accepted the username, but same is not happening for Email address

Many Thanks in advance,

Jyoti

Jeff MayJeff May

Having spaces in email addresses, although technically supported by some email servers, is a very, very bad practice.  It is confusing to users, and as you've seen, is not globally supported "everywhere email addresses can be used".  I don't know of a workaround.

Yes Jeff you are correct. I agree !! However this is a requirement of client and I have to find out a workaround since I can't suggest them to change there Email addresses at this point of time.

Rise AnalyticsRise Analytics

You could create a custom field with validation rules. For example, set up a field called "Valid E-mail" and assign an error condition like:

!CONTAINS( Valid_E_mail__c , '@')  || RIGHT( Valid_E_mail__c,4) != ".com"

In that example, I just check for an '@' and that it ends in ".com" (maybe not a requirement for your situation). Build out the formula to your client's specifications.

We dont only want to make a field for storing an Email addess but all the communication should happen on that. For instance, the password reset/ user confirmation and all those mails should also be automaticaly sent to that email. These are salesforce mails which automatically goes. Is there any setting, by which we can select a default email address in case a user has two?

Jeff MayJeff May

Each SFDC User account has a single email address which the various salesforce emails will be sent to for security reasons.  This email address has to be valid according to SFDC rules.  You could use the other suggestions to create another Email field on the User record and use that for non-Salesforce generated emails (Email Alerts)

Hmm.. Yup, but it does not solves my issue :(