function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RickoT1031RickoT1031 

Pass Salesforce Session via Link

So I am writing a small vb app and what I would like to do is have a link to a ticket, or contact, or whatever that opens whatever the resource is.  The problem is that I have to log in when I do this.  How can I pass the session info in the link im clicking on in order to prevent having to log in via my web browser?

arcsoftwarearcsoftware

Hi,

I am not an expert on salesforce by any means, but have you considered posting the relevant details to the login page- effectively logging in programatically - assuming you have the login details.

So, use something like fiddler / firefox data tamper, get the post variables for the page you need to post to to login. If you are lucky (i don't know this) - there will probably be a ?ReturnUrl=urltoreturnto parameter you could add to the login page to post to.

e.g. 

salesforce.com/?returnurl=ticketpage.aspx?ticketid=2

I don't know exactly what you are trying to do though, so maybe just have a look into what I have suggested and see if it's do-able.

T

Mike LeachMike Leach

You can create links to any Salesforce record by simply including the recordId in the URL: such as http://na5.salesforce.com/003000000000000000

First, check which pod you're on a (na1, na2, etc...)

Second, the record Id can be either a 15 or 18 character ID

If the user is not currently logged in, Salesforce will prompt for authentication everytime, then redirect to the request record. 

The alternative is to data bind the record to a DataGrid in your VB app. 

RickoT1031RickoT1031
Yah linking to the data is easy... passing the session in the link is what I am trying to figure out so that the person doesnt have to authenticate again.