function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ira42ira42 

PHP/SOQL: Case Email Subject Ref#

Hey there,

I have a form on my site,  which is submitting cases to SF,  and then displaying the case details and email history (Case Activity Histories)  to my clients.

I'd like to add a 'reply to this case' version of the form.  With the php toolkit,  I'm able to query everything I need,  except for the last part of the email Subject.  From my SOQL query,  I'm able to build the subject field on my form as:

RE:  Case # 0001234 - The original subject here : ref00
...But,  can anyone tell me how to complete the "ref" at the end of the subject?  Where in SF does this come from?  When I look at the email I received in my email client (the automatic notification from SF),  there's a few extra  numbers there:

RE:  Case # 0001234 - The original subject here : ref00D78m0L.50077Fnph:ref

I just want SF to think that this mail,  generated by my web form,  is coming directly from the client's email app... Any ideas?

Tx!
Park Walker (TAGL)Park Walker (TAGL)
Wouldn't it be easier to just create a Case Comment from the user's input using the API? Is there some reason that you need to send it as an email?

Park
ira42ira42
Hi Redsummit,

Originally, yes, that was an option. However, it's complicated as my client is just rolling out SFDC, and had imported data from ~6 different legacy systems (!!), and some of the old cases have Comments which were only used internally, and shouldn't be shown to their customers.

Plus, moving forward, they are going to be using Email 2 Case exclusively, so I am trying to keep my workflow in line (ignoring the comments, and just using Case Emails, and Activity History emails).

Found another thread in these forums though, which had a custom field formula, which generates the Thread Id on the fly, so I think I can use that for now.

Tx!
Joe_IpsenJoe_Ipsen

Mind sharing a link to this thread?

FYI, I found that the later half of the ThreadId is actually a concatenated Record ID.

Case URL:

https://na4.salesforce.com/50060000005wafe

Case Record ID:

50060000005wafe

Case Thread ID:

ref:00D0VNwG.50065wafe:ref

ira42ira42

Hey there,

Sorry,  we put that project on hold,  so I don't have a code sample...  But I believe it was based on the following post.  

Hope that helps,

Ira 

Joe_IpsenJoe_Ipsen

Fantastic thread!  Thanks for posting the link.

Looks like someone took my observation on the Thread Id to the next level:

You can build this with a formula field: 

"ref:"&LEFT( $Organization.Id , 4 )&RIGHT( $Organization.Id , 4 )&"."&LEFT( Id , 4 )&RIGHT( Id , 5 )&":ref"