function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mojeebahmedmojeebahmed 

How can i get the Object and Field related infromation?

Hi,

I want to get the Object and Field related information which we can see on sales force like, Created Date, Last Modified Date, Description etc. Is there any way we can get these information from the sales force API, I have tried the DescribeSObject and then getting its field, there are a lot of information about the Object and its field but i was not able to get the Created Date, Created By, Last Modified Date, Last Modified By, Description etc. fields from these calls.

any help or suggestion will be appreciated.
DevAngelDevAngel
Hi mojeebahmed,

Those are values that you need to query for.

Select CreatedDate, CreatedById From Contact

Hope this helps. 

Also, try the Apex Explorer.  The source code is availble and demonstrates a lot of the API calls.  It is also a very useful tool for inspecting you schema and for authoring SOQL queries.

Cheers

mojeebahmedmojeebahmed
Thanks Dave. What i really want is to get the Metadata information about the standard and custom object forexample; I have created a few fields in the Opportunity Object and if i go in the Opportunity Field section i can see when the field was created and when it was last modified and its other attributes. I want to get this information in another application which we are using to integrate salesforce with another webapplication. so we frequently need this information so that we can update the database of the other application and a couple of our services which map salesforce to our web application.

I hope that you understand what i want. its not the created or last modified dates of the records, its the metadata information of objects and their fields.
SuperfellSuperfell
See the describeSObject(s) call in the API.
mojeebahmedmojeebahmed
Simon, i have tried the describeSObject(s) call and it does not return the following information, object created date, created by, last modified date, last modified by etc. the rest of the information is there ... i need these info to get the updated fields or objects information so that if there is a change in the object or any of its fields i can do the changes in my other application. is there any other function in the API from which i can get the above information for the objects and their fields?
SuperfellSuperfell
Sorry, that information is not available via the api.