function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JibsJibs 

How to create a form for database.com

Hi All,

This is my first time on this forum, and I am new to the whole databse.com concept.

My first question is: How to create a form that lets you insert information in the database.

And after doing that, is it possible to search for the things that are stored in the database?

If there is someone with a lot of patient and would like it to help me out I would be very grateful.

I am sorry for my poor English.

Greeter,

Jibss

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Chris DaviesChris Davies

Jibs,

Force.com platform is architectured using the MVC Design pattern. The Models are called objects which is where your record is stored. There are two types custom and standard.

I suggest that you read more about these topics before you start doing any custom development:

Data Model

Standard Objects

Custom Object

Hope this helps

All Answers

Chris DaviesChris Davies

Hi Jibbs,

Not a problem, which version of Salesforce prouduct do you have is it definitely database.com or force.com?

JibsJibs

Hello Chris O Davies,

Thank you for taking he time to answer my question.(I know it is a stupid question)

I am sure that I am using database.com and not force.com.

Jibs

Chris DaviesChris Davies

Jibs,

Its not a stupid question, I just wanted to clarify. Now database.com doesn't really have a VIEW (MVC)

Depending on how you've architected your solution most people normally have an external system where they view the data and just store the records in database.com.

Like Force.com in Database.com you create a debug Log for a specific user i.e. yourself and use the new Developer console to perform an action which you can debug the result in the system log.

An example will be:

// Query for a list of specific sObject

List<YourCustomObject> lists = [select id from YourCustomObject];

// Debug the value and go and view in the developer console

system.debug('Checking My Custom Object Size**: ' + lists.size());

Hope this helps

JibsJibs

Thanks again for answering!

Now I understand what you telling me. So database.com is only useful if I already have a website running and want to store my data in database.com.

Let me explain you what I want to accomplish.

I want to create a form which can be filled by users in my company. Let say it is a request for a refund. This form goes to the finance department where they execute the refund.

It should me able for the user to see if the refund was done, or its still pending or still has not been treated yet. All this information must be stored into a database. Or at least I should be able to find things easy and quick.

So if I understood you a little I could accomplish this with force.com (sort of MVC) and at the same time using database.com as the storage? If not....what would you advice?

Sorry for the bad english. :#

Chris DaviesChris Davies

Jibs,

Database.com is useful for many things: it really depends on what the individual is trying to develop.

Looking at your scenario, I wil suggest that you sign up for a Force.com Developer Org and create a custom object for your form. please take a good care on how you design your object model.

In addition I also suggest that you use Workflow & Approvals for managing your refunds.

If you require some additional help around your Objects then I will suggest that you post that to Salesforce Customer Community Site as this is a developer forum for more technical solutions.

Hope this helps

JibsJibs

Chris,

Thank you again for putting me on the right track. I am very satisfied with your answers. I have a last question.

You said: "please take a good care on how you design your object model." Could you maybe explain me what you are trying to say?

Chris DaviesChris Davies

Jibs,

Force.com platform is architectured using the MVC Design pattern. The Models are called objects which is where your record is stored. There are two types custom and standard.

I suggest that you read more about these topics before you start doing any custom development:

Data Model

Standard Objects

Custom Object

Hope this helps

This was selected as the best answer
JibsJibs

Will do so Chris!

Again, thank you very much, this really helps me move forward!

Have a nice day!

Jibs