function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
marcobmarcob 

copy entire development org?

Hi, i'm a sf newbie, just joined an existing development environment. I am about to start my first assignment, which is changing an existing module. This will take at least a couple of weeks to finish, but in the mean time our app is being packages every week (sometimes even more frequently). Is there a way to copy the entire environment, so i can paly around a little bit before i really start changing the existing code in the development org?

Many thanks in advance!

Br, Marco

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Hi marcob,

If you want to make changes inside the existing components of Managed Package then go for Push Upgrade method.

Please refer below link,

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Push_Patch_Updates

If you want to add new components (New Classes, Objects, Fields etc.) to your package, then you will have to create Major Version of your package. You can not able to add new classes,fields etc through Push Upgrade.

Thanks,

Devendra

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

All Answers

MimicaMimica

Hi Marco,

If I got it right, what you want is a sandbox. It's a environment that is a copy of your production when you can test and develop your code.

Here, we have a brief description of the 3 types of Sandboxes:

Full copy sandboxes have the same storage limit as your production organization.
Configuration-only sandboxes have a 500 MB storage limit.
Developer Sandboxes have a 10 MB storage limit.    <===== you could start with this one
And a youtube video talking about it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1RnpSMieQ
Serch for salesforce + sandbox to know a little bit more.
Cheers,
Mimica
marcobmarcob

Hi Mimica,

thx for your response. I've checked out the youtube video, learned a lot about sandboxes. The thing is that i cannot change any existing classes and pages and triggers that are part of a managed package. And that is exactly what i want to do. So, basically, i want to make a copy of the entire developer org.

Is there any way to do that?

Br, Marco

AmitSahuAmitSahu
You want to make changes to the managed package.?
Then you cannot do that . You cannot see the managed package code other wise there will be no point in making managed packages.:)
marcobmarcob

Well, it is our own app, but maybe i wasn't clear on that.

Let me put it differently: is there a way to exclude certain code changes when making a new version of a package? For instance, we're on version 23, and we want to publish version 24, but we want to withhold some changes in one specific page and it's related controller (extension). Off course, i understand that all other changes in those specific page/class will not be upgraded as well, but that's exactly the idea.

Br, Marco

Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC

Hi marcob,

If you want to make changes inside the existing components of Managed Package then go for Push Upgrade method.

Please refer below link,

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Push_Patch_Updates

If you want to add new components (New Classes, Objects, Fields etc.) to your package, then you will have to create Major Version of your package. You can not able to add new classes,fields etc through Push Upgrade.

Thanks,

Devendra

If a reply to a post answers your question or resolves your problem, please mark it as the solution to the post so that others may benefit.

This was selected as the best answer
marcobmarcob

Ok, clear, thanks!