function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TenaTena 

Override Standard Pages in Salesforce good idea?

We have about 15 account Page Layouts for our users(internal and partner).  There is a related list that I want to pull differently than what Salesforce offers.  I am not sure how good it is to override the standard layout for the one list to be different.  From what I can tell this means I have to write something that redirects users to either a standard page or the custom VF page.  Every time a layout change needs to be made then we have to do development rather than the drag and drop. 

What has been your experiences on overriding the pages?  Is it really no big deal in maintenance, creation, etc or has it been an issue? 

Kamatchi Devi SargunanathanKamatchi Devi Sargunanathan

Hi Tena,

Basically, overriding a page will not be a big issue in maintaining and saving the records of the object.

It is just to use our own custom VF pages for the view and the functionality that is different from the Standard Layout.

So, If you want to override the related list of the Account with different laytout, then you need to ovveride the Standard layout of the child object 'New' button with the VF page you created for that object.

Hope so this helps you...!

Please mark this answer a Solution and please give kudos by clicking on the star icon, if this works out.

Satish_SFDCSatish_SFDC
If the Standard Layout does not solve your requirements, its best to create visual force pages and override the standard layout. Overriding is simple. The only bottleneck as you said is when there are changes to be made to the pages.
However, request for changes to page layout are not too common. But it depends on your unique requirements.

Regards,
Satish Kumar