function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ian P.Ian P. 

Action Plans - Task Inserted In Custom Object

Q: Has anyone ever altered the Action Plans app to create tasks in a custom object rather than the standard Task object?

I thought I'd find out if anyone has done any customization of the Action Plans v3 (unmanaged) app from the AppExchange, particularly around Tasks. Here is what I am trying to determine feasibility on:

• We like the ease of use of the task-to-task dependency logic. Close a task, 1 or more open...this portion of the app is great
  • What we'd like to change is the underlying task object...instead of creating standard tasks, have the Action Plan insert records in a custom task object. When those close, other custom tasks are inserted.

My gut instinct is: "If you do that, it's going to be more trouble than just recreating it", but I thought maybe someone might have some insight. Thanks!

Peter_sfdcPeter_sfdc
No one seems to want to touch this one.

I'd go with that gut instinct. :-)

I don't know this app at all. What's the impetus behind investigating a custom task object as opposed to the standard tasks?
Ian P.Ian P.

It's sort of a unique case...

Standard Tasks in this org are used as the back-end data for a custom object called Activities (that is, no one interfaces with them directly, the data would be served up through the custom object). This was done because there was a desire to associate standard Tasks to any object. However, there was still a need to leverage the Outlook sync capabilities of the standard Tasks, so that's why a completely custom object wasn't used in that case.

For this situation, the use case for Action Plans is different enough from the above to warrant completely cordoning off the tasks it uses from the standard Task object. We still want a "task manager", and the logic in Action Plans could be sufficient.