function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
studzeystudzey 

Help with uploading files through a web-to-lead form

Hi everyone! 

I was wondering. We are a company that require people to submit their information and then we have to follow up and validate the information provided. It would make  life WAY easier if we can actually also upload some documents that substantiate the information provided by the customers...

Is this functionality provided / possible?

Thanks a mil......

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Better if you do it through the boards - that way others will reply if I don't!

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

You won't be able to do this via a web to lead form, as this simply allows capture of the lead fields rather than related files.  I reckon you'd need to do this via a visualforce page.  You could put it into an unauthenticated web site if you need non-users to have access to it.

studzeystudzey

Thanks Bob, 

So in short - not possible with a web-to-lead form, but rather a visual force page that I make publicly viewable? 

Do you have any resources that will show me how to do that? 

Much appreciated,

Stadler

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Here's the sites microsite:

http://developer.force.com/sites

you'll need a site set up before you can give external users access.  In terms of the visualforce, the developer's guide is the best place to start.  There's a getting started chapter that gives a great overview:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/pages/index.htm

There's an example of uploading files on my blog - this is for multiples but should be a reasonable starting point:

http://bobbuzzard.blogspot.com/2011/01/uploading-multiple-attachments-via.html

studzeystudzey

Thanks Bob, 

Just one more quick question - say I would like to list events created (perhaps a list of custom objects) on our website and then allow for attending people to make payments. Is it possible to update contact information after the attendant has actually made a payment for the event advertised? 

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

It is, but you'd need a way to identify the contact that has made the payment.  I.e. you'd need a way to tie the payment to the contact record.  Something like the email address would probably do the trick.

Regardless of whether its a logged in or anonymous user that accesses the page, once you are into an extension/custom controller, you have the capability to do most things.

studzeystudzey

Ok I see. I was going to use the Name field, which is a unique auto number field. I will take some time to work through your advice. I'm only 2 months into Salesforce, but I'm getting the hang of it.

One more quick question. What kind of Logging-in capabilities does Salesforce provide on a website to external users?   

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Portal users can log in to a web site - cost wise these range from full portal licenses (higher) to authenticated web site licenses (lower)

studzeystudzey

Cool thanks so much for the help Bob,

Would you mind if I email you when I have any more questions? Would be much appreciated, 

Regards,

Stadler

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Better if you do it through the boards - that way others will reply if I don't!

This was selected as the best answer
studzeystudzey

Ok great, thanks again - much appreciated