function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
aquelleraqueller 

Composite data types

I am trying to create a custom object which, similar to 'Contacts' has a composite field 'Name'

that consists of Salutation - First Name - Last Name.

The data type shown for the 'Name' field is 'Name'. When I try to create a name field in my custom object,

'Name' is not available as a data type.

Can someone tell me how do I:

1. Have the 'New custom field' page show the 'Name' data type

or alternatively:

2. Create custom data types which are composite, and allow to select them from

the 'New custom field' page

Thanks,

aqueller

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Name field is the native field provided by salesforce, you can not replicate or create it on any other object.

But you can create a similar behavior : Create two text fields with data type "Text" namely "First Name" and "Last Name". Now create a field of type "Formula" name "Name".

That formula field will have "First Name + Last Name". Now when you fill values in first name and last name separate the "Name" field (Formula) will automatically be populated with "First Name" + "Last Name".

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

All Answers

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Name field is the native field provided by salesforce, you can not replicate or create it on any other object.

But you can create a similar behavior : Create two text fields with data type "Text" namely "First Name" and "Last Name". Now create a field of type "Formula" name "Name".

That formula field will have "First Name + Last Name". Now when you fill values in first name and last name separate the "Name" field (Formula) will automatically be populated with "First Name" + "Last Name".

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

This was selected as the best answer
aquelleraqueller

Thank you, Ankit.

I will try out your suggestion.

Best,

Aqueller