function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
espeedespeed 

Using Only Salesforce with No Local Database - Bad Idea?

It would be great to use the SF cloud for website data and forgo the local DB completely. Is this a recommended approach? Are slow responses or timeouts ever an issue?

Thanks.

- James 

DataData

If your making lots of API calls you could get hit by the rate metering:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/Content/implementation_considerations.htm#sforce_api_rate_metering

unless your smart about it, caching the information etc but you could use the force hosted site thing but I don't know if they have sorted the pricing out for that yet then everything is hosted on salesforce. But depends on your needs...  

angusgrantangusgrant

Performance wise Salesforce is generally very quick as long as you have good Internet Connection and a quick browser ie. Not IE. Also over a 5 month period I have barely seen much down time and that was only for about 10 minuites.

However, i would advise that there is a steep learning curve in migrating a database accross to sf and you will more than likely have to write advanced apex to do this to fill the gaps in the salesforce Interface. To allow you for example to recreate the database table relationships that are in your current database to make sure of data integrity and no orphand records or duplication. My project cetainly took a allot longer than I expected.

I have also noticed that the performance can degrade on custom visualforce hosted within salesforce.