function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
pratikpratik 

hosting websites, webservices in PHP on SalesForce

Is there a way to build a website which uses a php web service, and host it entirely on SalesForce?

I know that entire web services can be made on SalesForce, but I need to be able to access data from my own Oracle database.

RyanGuestRyanGuest

Have a look at Force.com Sites.

You can write a webpage in VisualForce and call web services.

ptepperptepper

PHP cannot be run within Salesforce, with or without Sites, so you're out of luck there.

With Sites you have XHTML (CSS and Javascript which gives you Ajax) plus the Visualforce & Apex MVC structure for doing anything dynamic. You can access web services with either Ajax or Apex.

Even with Sites though, if you're going to be accessing your Oracle DB through web services, you're going to have to have some way of exposing the Oracle DB as a web service, and you'll need to host the software providing the web services somewhere other than Salesforce -- be it in PHP, Java, or any other language that lets you access your DB.

If you want to keep it all in one place, you can access Salesforce through the PHP Web Services API. Just make sure you look into the API call limits and cache everything you pull from Salesforce so that you don't reach those limits. 

Search the documentation, the web and the community for more info --theres decent documentation for going either route.

-paul

Message Edited by ptepper on 08-06-2009 07:49 PM