function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jeffzeejeffzee 

field not displaying

Hi. Any idea why this field wouldn't display? Thanks.

<apex:page standardController="Contact" showHeader="false" standardStylesheets="false">

<td align="center" colspan="1" height="112" rowspan="1" width="250"> {!Contact.prof_sum__c}
Sonam_SFDCSonam_SFDC

Hi Jeff,

You have not included the field in any tag : please go through the following doc and try to modify the code accordingly:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/pages/Content/pages_input_field_labels.htm

jeffzeejeffzee

Thanks. I'm not using a form and also, I have seen instructions for displaying a field by using the dot notation shared above (if this is the correct way of conveying it;-)

In any case, I don't want to be difficult. I'm just not clear on this.

Fr example, when they teach the basic way to display a field in a VF page, they simply use that global variable which has $ preceding, but of course, my custom field isn't global. But again, they did not use any special tag for this.

What am I missing? Thank you.

jz

UgNderUgNder

Jeffzee,

As per your explanations I came to know that you are trying to display field value in your custom page. If so, you need to pass the respective contact id in address bar (ex:/apex/page?id=XXXXX).

Did you get this?

jeffzeejeffzee

UgNder,

Thanks. Perhaps what I am trying to do isn't possible or needs a new angle.

I have a table in the apex page and in each row, a summary of a personal profile. e.g. photo, links, etc.

So, I guess this becomes, how do I put this custom field in the Contact object in each row for each unique person? My guess now is I need another strategy, but whatever you can tell me about displaying this custom field in a row for each Contact would be valuable.

Thank you either way, my friend.

jeffzeejeffzee
by the way, this id suggestion/direction is helpful because at some point I wanted to know how to link to a detail page for each person. For this question, I'm just developing a summary page for each person. This custom field is just to display a few bullet points using a rich text field, fyi.
UgNderUgNder

Jeffzee,

I understood what you are trying to make it. Yes, you need to go in different approach i.e.., introduce extension controller with account as standard controller and build a logic to get contacts related to account in a list and then use it in looping within the page.

jeffzeejeffzee

Sounds good. thank you.

By the way ... what if I have a checkbox field within Contact object to designate what would be the users in your new account scenario? Would i be able to filter/display on this, or no?

Thx. jz

UgNderUgNder

Jeffzee,

I didn't get you.

jeffzeejeffzee

Sure.

In the Contact object, we have tons of contacts.

So, I added a custom field checkbox to allow for us to select the few contacts that hold a certain designation.

I was just wondering if in addition to your suggestion, there is a way to leverage this custom field in filtering out the contact object to display those designated with a checbox to display on a vf page.

Hope this helps to clarify. If not, no problem.

Thank you!

jz

UgNderUgNder

Jz,

Yes, you have a provision to filter out the contacts based on checkbox condition in query where you retrieve list of contacts in controller.

jeffzeejeffzee

thank you. if you can offer a code sample, i'd be most grateful.

UgNderUgNder

Jz,

List<Contacts> c =[Select id, name from Contacts where accounted =accid and checkboxfieldname__c =True ];

jeffzeejeffzee

Thank you! Is this raw code or are there comments of any kind in here? If raw, great! If not, may i see the raw code? I just want to lock down syntax. Once more, thank you, much;-)

UgNderUgNder

Yes, this is raw code. But, you need to include in controller method where you define contacts list.

jeffzeejeffzee
Thank you again, UgNder! Appreciate your time and expertise, my friend.