function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gab SilvermotionGab Silvermotion 

time based workflow - can we send email alerts to contacts?

Hello!  We are a real estate developer. We receive deposits from customers, and we track them with salesforce. I'd love an email alert to automatically fire a couple days before the deposit deadline to the corresponding contact.  I have no problems creating the time-based workflow rule, but i cant seem to be able to set the email update to be sent to the contact (there is only one in the account).  We manage deposits in a custom objects called ''deposits'' which is linked to assets.   Is it possible to do what i want to do?

thanks in advance,

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Maf_007Maf_007

You can either have an email field on your custom object and have that populated and send an email to that field value. Or you need to have a lookup relationship with contact. Otherwise your record do not know what to look for. 

All Answers

Maf_007Maf_007

Hi,

You can create an email template and add that template to the time dependant workflow action. On the same page you should be able select if the receipient is an user or contact. Just select contact from the drop down (by default it's user) and you will be able to see all relevant contacts. At this stage move the desired contact on the right and save the action.

Hope that helps you.

Please mark as solution if this helped you.

Thanks,

hello!

thanks for the reply,

mo problem is here (see included screenchot). how can i choose to send the email to the contact? I can't seem to be able to select anything.   do i need to have my "deposits" custom object linked to the contact object through a lookup field?

screenshot here -->  http://imgur.com/pd49eC0

thanks again!

Maf_007Maf_007

You can either have an email field on your custom object and have that populated and send an email to that field value. Or you need to have a lookup relationship with contact. Otherwise your record do not know what to look for. 

This was selected as the best answer
Maf_007Maf_007

Or if it is a static email address you can add that into additional list at the bottom of the page and you should be able to activate the workflow..

thank you very much, i'll try that and i'll come back to let you know :)

Annnnnnnnnnd you are right! it work with a custom email field AND it works if i create a direct lookup field to contact.

thank you very much

Maf_007Maf_007

Glad that solved your problem.

Have a good day.... :)