function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kkanthakkantha 

Database.com

I've just joined and wanted to start looking at database.com...but I can't find where to start?  Is it just not available yet...so what's the head start they were suggesting on the sign up page?

cloudcodercloudcoder

Did you already sign up for updates via the database.com site?

In addition, we are having a sneak peek webinar on June 3rd which should give you what you are looking for:

http://www.developerforce.com/events/intro_databasedotcom_webinar/registration.php?d=70130000000G3uA

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora

Quintonwall

Thanks for sharing this with the community members.

Thanks

Ankit Arora

Blog | Facebook | Blog Page

kkanthakkantha

Thanks Quinton...will definitely watch the webinar on June 3rd.  In the meantime the notice on the database.com site says:

"You can expect a developer preview in 2011, but you can start coding against the core Database.com technologies and REST API today by signing up for a free Force.com Developer Edition. Check out the Resources & FAQ section for more information"  

When I check out the FAQ, it says:  "Anyone who would like to get started today can sign up for a free Force.com account. This account provides access to both Force.com and Database.com services. With this account developers can use Database.com APIs to start building apps on any platform with any language and running on any device."

But when I log in to my Developer Edition of salesforce.com I can't see anything to direct me to the database.com services... can you help me find these?

cloudcodercloudcoder

You have to remember that Database.com is the database which is at the heart of Force.com. You already have access to the ability to create objects, fields, security profiles etc. Stay tuned as we get closer to GA of Database.com for more information on additional services available specifically for Database.com activities.

teahouteahou

Hi there, my question is basically the same.  A buddy of mine asked me to look into database.com, to use it as part of a mobile app he is building.  We are looking to start building the DBs for the project, like right now so i am wondering if database.com is up and running now so I can start.

If not, please let me know when I can start working.

thanks.

cloudcodercloudcoder

Whilst Database.com is not available as a product, API access will be via the REST API. I suggest you look at learning the REST API against a Developer Edition org, which includes Database.com as the data store.

HTH

teahouteahou

Maybe I should layout what we are planning, and you can tell me if it is even workable.

There is an app that was created for iphones, and is currently in use with over 40k users.  We are now rewriting the app to add additional functionality and to run on android.

The application has already been developed using Appcelerator's 'Titanium', and now I have been tasked with creating the databases in the cloud, which will then be tied into the Titanium app.  The team manager suggested we use database.com for this.

I am supposed to have the first set of DBs created by next wednesday using database.com.  So my question is, can I do this yet?

cloudcodercloudcoder

The use case is certainly doable in database.com. However, right now you will have to access database.com as part of the Force.com platform (Force.com uses database.com as it's cloud database, but right now they are not separate products). 

Does that make sense?

teahouteahou

So we would have to rebuild the app through force.com?

cloudcodercloudcoder

No. You would still use the same APIs (REST) to access the database. Database.com has been the database of Force.com for 10+ years. Licensing-wise, you will need to talk to your Account Exec about the differences of Force.com and Database.com. I can not comment on that.

The announcement of Database.com as a separate product enables customers who specifically want a cloud database.

teahouteahou

Ok, I think I understand but here are some more questions, just because.  When will be database.com be available as a stand alone product?  and, When it is a stand alone, will we still use REST api as a go between?

cloudcodercloudcoder

1. Database.com GA has not been announced yet. Please stay tuned.

2. Yes, you will still be able to use REST :)