function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Max PowerMax Power 

How do I add package dependencies/extend a package?

I'm looking to create several packages for distribution on the AppExchange.  I intend to create a base package with core features that will be used by my other packages.  This will allow users to select only the packages that contain the features that they want, rather than giving them one large package with functionality that they will never use.

My problem is that in trying to develop one of the package extensions, I can't find any way to say that it depends on the core package.  I see in the Package Summary that Extension is set to 'no'.  How do I change this so that I can reference global Apex classes defined in the core package?  I'm currently unable to reference these classes in my extension package.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

Hi Max,

Take a look at the Online Help for extension packages. After you install the base managed package into the new org (where you plan to create the extension) and create a package that includes a dependency to the base, the extension attribute will become active.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

shillyershillyer

Hi Max,

Take a look at the Online Help for extension packages. After you install the base managed package into the new org (where you plan to create the extension) and create a package that includes a dependency to the base, the extension attribute will become active.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer
Max PowerMax Power

Thanks Sati.

My problem stemmed from the fact that I hadn't refreshed my extension package project in Eclipse after installing the base package in that development organization.  Once I did that I stopped getting compilation errors and Salesforce automatically detected that my package was an extension.

Thanks again for the help!

-Max