function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SiriusBlackOpSiriusBlackOp 

Changing the LMA Expiration Date of a Managed Package installed into a Customer's Sandbox.

Ok, so here is it. 

• I have a customer who installed a trial version of a managed package into their sandbox. 
  • Our LMA does not show a license record for that new installation.
  • We have a workflow that sends out an automated email to the customer when the package is about to expire based on the LMA's License Record's Expiration field.  They got that message.  How did that happen if the record never existed?
  • Problem: Customer needs an extension of the trial period.  How can I extend the trial period if the LMA record does not exist?

What is the reason that the install into the sandbox does not show in the LMA?

Will it actually expire in the sandbox? (maybe this answers the question above?)

If it will expire, how do I extend it if I can't see it in the LMA?

I have used the Data Explorer to see if there are more records there than the web interface is displaying, but I didn't see anything.

Ideas? Answers?

Thanks Much.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

I'm not sure why it fired a workflow rule off a record that never existed or should never have been created. Again, installing into a Sandbox, does not create a license in your LMA, so I'm not sure what your workflow is triggering against. Are you sure the customer didn't install into their production?

In any event, installing into the Sandbox keeps the app active as long as the admin wants. It will remain accessible until the admin either uninstalls the app or refreshes their sandbox.

Hope that helps,

Sati

All Answers

shillyershillyer

The LMA does not track Sandbox installs. One reason is because of Sandbox refreshes, if the LMA tracked this licenses, after a refresh, it would be invalid. If you feel this feature is needed, I recommend posting it to the IdeaExchange.

Best,

Sati

It's ok if the LMA doesn't track it, but then it shouldn't expire or there should be some way around this issue.

So it's just going to expire will the customer be locked out?

Is there any action I could take to fix this?

Message Edited by SiriusBlackOp on 02-04-2009 08:08 AM
Message Edited by SiriusBlackOp on 02-04-2009 08:09 AM

Also... if it doesn't track them, then why did it fire a workflow for a record that shouldn't exist?

My guess... the record did exist at some point and then it was removed, but the time delayed workflow action for the email remained.

But really... Is there a way to extend the expiration or not? OR Will it even expire in the sandbox?

Anyone know?

shillyershillyer

I'm not sure why it fired a workflow rule off a record that never existed or should never have been created. Again, installing into a Sandbox, does not create a license in your LMA, so I'm not sure what your workflow is triggering against. Are you sure the customer didn't install into their production?

In any event, installing into the Sandbox keeps the app active as long as the admin wants. It will remain accessible until the admin either uninstalls the app or refreshes their sandbox.

Hope that helps,

Sati

This was selected as the best answer

Thank you for the answer on the sandbox expiration! :smileyhappy:

As for the workflow, I installed it for them at their request. It was installed into the sandbox and no record was ever visible in the LMA for it, but it did fire the related time delayed workflow and I'm not sure how either.

Anywho, Thanks Much for the answer.

DSLDSL

I just had this happen to us and now you have me pretty concerned. You said that a sandbox install lasts forever and does not link up with LMA. Is that really true?

That would mean that anyone can basically steal any app forever. If they refresh, they can just re-do the get it now trial.

This has some pretty major implications if I'm understanding it correctly. 

Can anyone from salesforce.com comment on this and let us all know how can we protect our apps from theft?

Thanks,

DSL

dburkidburki

There is no license enforcement and here's the reason - sandboxes are used only for testing purposes. Licenses are required to protect Partner's package in production orgs.

If we create a license record each time someone installs a package in sandbox, soon you will have a lot of orphan license records whenever sandboxes are refreshed.

Since there is no license enforcement in sandbox, a user can access the package on sandbox without the partner needing to extend the license.

If you have further questions, email me at dburki@salesforce.com

ChadMeyerChadMeyer
Odd, I have a situation where a customer can no longer use my app in their sandbox after the trial period expired.  I was trying to find a way to extend the trial, not restrict it.  Has the behavior changed in the last 5 months?
shillyershillyer

A trial license can not be extended past 90 days. Since there is no license created for Sandbox installs, I'd think 90 days has expired and the package is now inaccessible. If the customer still wanted to use your app, they would need to reinstall.

Hope that helps,

Sati

ChadMeyerChadMeyer
Got it, thank you, that sounds like exactly what has happened.
ChadMeyerChadMeyer

It would appear that something has changed with this perhaps as of Winter '13. We are working in a sandbox where the package components are available beyond 90 days. Can someone from SF confirm?