function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JimPDXJimPDX 

Dependent package upgrade while managed beta

Hoping someone has some ideas on how to handle this easily.

We are developing an application which consists of two packages. We have separated them for important, strategic reasons. We are making improvements to both packages (in two DE orgs) and now I need to upgrade the lower-level package in the DE org of the higher-level package. Because they are both managed "Beta" I can not upgrade but rather need to remove the lower-level package (uninstall) and install again. But I can't do that because my apex code requires the low-level package.

Help!? 

A_SmithA_Smith

Hi Jim,

There is not an easy way to get around this.  I would suggest using the Force.com IDE to retrieve and save a copy of your local components (apex code, local custom objects/fields, etc) in your higher-level package org to your local machine.  Then go back into the higher-level org and delete the local apex code, etc.  After that, uninstall the base package and then install a released version of it into the org.  Then use the IDE to deploy your apex code, etc back into the org.  You'll most likely have to add these components back into your higher-level package.

In the future, you should only build an extension (higher-level) package on top of a managed-released base package.  That will prevent this issue.  I know it is a bit of a challenge.  Extensions were designed to be used by one partner extending the app of another partner.  You're using it in a non-traditional way, which is great, but that's why you are hitting a few blockers.

Just out of curiosity - why did you need to use two packages?

Thanks,