function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ShamilShamil 

Apex packaging

I've been struggling to find an answer to a pretty simple question:

Can Apex Code that makes callouts to external web services be installable in PE?

Apex would be a part of managed certified package.

Thanks,

Shamil

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
shillyershillyer

Hi Shamil,

Using Apex Code to call out to a web service will work in PE/GE if the managed package is authorized.

Best,

Sati

Message Edited by shillyer on 08-11-2009 02:29 PM

All Answers

OCDGeekOCDGeek

I found the following in the “Force.com ISV Program Guide”:

Once your application passes the security review, you are entitled to these additional benefits:

• Client ID/API Token – This token lets composite and client apps make API calls into Professional Edition orgs.
  • Apex Authorization – This permission lets the Apex Code included in your managed package run in Group and Professional Editions (does not apply to packages containing Apex Web services).

Since my certified managed package also has Apex Web Services, I've been unable to test that it actually works in Professioinal Edition. Currently it fails to install on a PE with an unspecified error. I have a case open with SF Support on the issue. 

ShamilShamil

I believe we are talking about slightly different things. In your case Apex is exposed as a web service, while I am consuming external web services and making callouts to them from Apex.

As far as I know your package will not be installable in PE. 

shillyershillyer

Hi Shamil,

Using Apex Code to call out to a web service will work in PE/GE if the managed package is authorized.

Best,

Sati

Message Edited by shillyer on 08-11-2009 02:29 PM
This was selected as the best answer