function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
glidealongglidealong 

Integrate google gadgets with salesforce

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if there is a way to integrate google gadgets aka opensocial gadgets into salesforce. The gadget complies with opensocial specificiation which require an opensocial container to run. And for authentication and authorization purposes, I would be using SAML SSO and OAuth so that the gadget could pull data from my servers while running within the container application, which would be salesforce in this case.

The only gadget i found was

http://sites.force.com/appexchange/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000016bafEAA

Once installed , this gadget was available as s-control and i could add it to my dashboard, but no user preferences were saved. My case would be a bit more complex one, with some amount of user preferences, security and authentication aspects involved(think userprefs in opensocial, SAML and OAuth).

I would like to know how i could make my opensocial gadget available for my customers who are using salesforce, is it packaging? . Is it that i need to submit my application to appexchange, or is there an api(url) with which i could have the user install my gadget deployed at an external url?

Is there a way I could follow the "develop once - publish multiple" philosophy.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Hafiz
shillyershillyer

"I would like to know how i could make my opensocial gadget available for my customers who are using salesforce, is it packaging? . Is it that i need to submit my application to appexchange, or is there an api(url) with which i could have the user install my gadget deployed at an external url?"

This is exactly what the AppExchange is for! Any app that integrates with Salesforce should be published on the AppExchange as this is where our customers look for enhancements. Create a package that your customer will install. Any specifics that need to be setup after install, you can explain in the customization guide (and/or configuration videos) tied to your listing. You can make your listing public so people can search and find on their own, or keep it private and send a specific URL that takes them right to your offering.

Hope that helps,

Sati

glidealongglidealong

"keep it private and send a specific URL that takes them right to your offering."

Thank you Sati, that really helped.

"Create a package that your customer will install.  "

Can you provide some info on how to create a package to publish my opensocial gadget into appexchange or provide a link/url which explains something similar so that my customers can install it?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Hafiz

shillyershillyer

Take a look at this article. It's a step-by-step guide on creating a package.

Hope that helps,

Sati

glidealongglidealong

Thank you Sati for the link, I tried it, but couldnt yet find a way to get a hello world google gadget to be created and installed via appexchange.

Any pointers towards this is highly appreciated.

Or it really if someone could tell me if this is not supported in salesforce.

Thanks and Regards,

Hafiz

ciccic

You can't publish open social apps on the appexchange.  Force.com can't host them.  See this link for what you can do:-

http://chrisschalk.com/blog/?p=17#more-17