function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SridharSridhar 

Package deployment issue - to go managed package or not

Hi,

My customer has a Professional edition Org where they have a few of our custom objects deployed already. I am doing a project that extends the functionality using Apex Pages and Classes. Since Pro Edition does not allow Apex Classes, I am forced to use a managed package to deploy my changes. 

Here lies the issue: My Apex Class refers to those custom objects and hence brings them into the managed package. So, if I install the managed package to their Org, they will have duplicate custom objects (which uses up their object count unnecessarily - they will never use the objects in the managed package - just the Apex functionality is to be used in conjunction with the original custom objects).

Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Sridhar

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
gv007gv007

What i understand ie before yours customer was using unmanaged code now you are going to replace it using a managed package.

1.Unamanged package components are not upgradeable that why you are seeing duplicate  custom objects in yours customer environment.

for this issue one this is that .

1.backup all the data in the unamanged objects in the form of csv files.

2.install yours managed packages yours customer use the managed package Import the unmanaged custom object data into managed custom object(in yours case the unmanaged custom onjects and managed custom object are same right ?).

3.Make sure that all the data was in yours managed package Then remove the unmanaged code.

It was somewhat painful process ,this is one of the solution.

Thanks

Gopi