function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ic2kchad2ic2kchad2 

Suggestions for handling and timing the change from Site License to X Seats

We have a managed app on the AppExchange which offers a trial site license.  In many instances the customer ends up buying X Seats for the app rather than purchasing a site license.  The trouble is that the customer cannot allocate/assign the X Seats until we switch the license in the LMA.  But, once we switch it, none of their users will have access until the customer allocates/assigns the seats.

This is particularly sensitive for us because our package includes an inbound customer facing email service that can't stop working.  In most instances we never speak to the customer, or they are on another continent and coordinating schedules can be difficult.

I'm curious to know how others are dealing with this.  Anything that can be done to make the transition easier or just be careful with the timing?  In the case of the latter, I guess create an Idea suggesting they allow admins to allocate/assign licenses even if they have a site license so that the selections are ready once it cuts over?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

aalbertaalbert

Why not have the default LMA License be a Trial license with X Seats? That way, during the trial process, the Admin would have allocated licenses to specific users. That would avoid the issue of switching from Site License to # of Seats when the customer purchases your application.

ic2kchad2ic2kchad2

Thanks, I did consider that option, but I'm really trying to create the easiest demo experience possible.  We have a wide range of skill levels installing our solution and we have had to go to great lengths to make the setup process as easy as possible.  I'm not exaggerating, I will probably end up making a video on how to assign licenses to users.

If we require license assignment for the trial I am afraid I will increase our support overhead and frustrate prospective clients.

aalbertaalbert

I don't disagree. You definitely want a easy trial user experience.