function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jnkasikjnkasik 

field mapping

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to map fields from 1 tab to another. On our contracts tab, we have a "contract date" and "renewal date" field. We also have these fields on the account tab. I would like the fields on the account tab to be read only and have them populated based on the contract tab fields.  Our contract administrator is responsible for maintaining the information on the contracts tab. However, we'd like some of that data displayed on the account tab.

Is it possible to link the fields together across tabs? 

Thanks!

Steve :-/Steve :-/

I don't think it's possible using either Formula Language or Field Updates because Accounts and Contracts do not have the needed Master-Detail relationship. 

Also, you might want to re-think going about this by adding a field directly to the Account Object/Tab, since typically an Account can have several Contracts associated to it.  

What is the user requirement for this?  Do they need it for reports, or do they just need visibility to the Contract Date through the UI?

jnkasikjnkasik

Good point and something we did discuss.  Here is our business need: Our CRMs (customer relationship managers) want to have a high level view of each account, so we are using the account tab  for this view.  On this page, we want to have contract specific info (when the contract was signed, total # users, renewal date, contract value, etc).  This information is already being maintained on the contracts tab, specific to each contract.  If a customer has 1 contract, in theory, the field would just map from the contract tab to the account tab and be a read only field.

It becomes a bigger issue when there are multiple contracts or orders associated w/ an account. I would like to hear how others handle this. How do you get a big picture overview of renewal dates, total # of users, etc when there are multiple orders associated w/ an account? We don't want to have to manually click into each contract....

thanks for any insight you can provide!