function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EllenataplEllenatapl 

Cross Object Workflow Rule With Field Updates Formula

I truly need some assistance with cross object workflow rule with fiels updates formula. Is anyone willing to provide some guidance?

E

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Could you provide a little information on what exactly you're trying to do?  Object Names, Field Names, Data Types, etc... 

EllenataplEllenatapl

We are a nonprofit organization  looking to collect demographic information from our clients once, but we need to be able to report on the demographics of all our classes in an anonymous fashion. We do need to be able to link this information to a contact;each clients is identified by a unique ID called the Participant ID located in the Contact Details of the Contact Object.

We created a custom object with fields to collect demographic information on the Contacts Object. You do not see the demographic information here, which is fine. We do have clicktools and have been able to successfully map the demographics survey to the fields in the Demographics Object. With the assistance of Clicktools, we can see this information after we created a tab called "demographics tracking". This is a paper survey that is entered by volunteers. The only link we have to the contact is the Participant ID.90% of our participants do not have computers or email addresses. So we can not link them via an email.

We are using the Conference Management from the Appexchange to track our classes. This includes an Attendees object on the Contact object, which is linked to the Sessions via (I am fairly sure the correct term is...) a look up relationship.  With help from support, we were able to get the Participant ID from the contact page to automatically be entered when the contact becomes an attendee. So a contact is linked to the attendee via this Participant ID.

We are hoping to have the demographics  in the Demographics Tracking to automatically be linked to the Contacts. Then from the contacts, the demographic information can be tracked to the sessions via the Attendees. 

I was told by support that we need cross object workflow rule with field updates.  I really need some help with this. I am hoping I provided you with enough information...

Ever Hopeful,

EllenataplEllenatapl

We are also open to different ideas to get the job done, if there is a way that makes more sense....

E

EllenataplEllenatapl

Ok, I just finished speaking with salesforce support. A gentleman kindly assisted me in articulating what we need to achieve our goal.

Contact information has a field called Participant ID. Under the contacts we have two related lists. One for attendees (this one have a look up field already) and one for demographic tracking (it has the Participant ID field, but no look ups at this time). The Participant ID is the look up field. 

Under attendees, we have already created a cross object formula field to link the Participant ID field from contacts to Attendees. We are trying to look for a way to link the related list of Demographics Tracking under the Contact with the Demograohics Tracking under the Attendees.

The support also suggested taking screen shots and emailing it to any interested parties, as this may be helpful. I have these ready to go.... 

Ever Hopeful,

Ellen 

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Hi Ellen,

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a hectic couple of days and I've been playing catch-up.  I'd really like to take a crack at solving this for you.  

If you have chance, could you either post them here or e-mail them to the address on my Community Profile.  

Thanks