function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
megwalshmegwalsh 

Email alert to user that owns lookup-related account - possible with workflow?

I am hoping this is something that I can create using just workflow rules/email alerts... but have been running into challenges...

We have a unique opportunity record type for partner in/outbound referrals (we manage all updates to them internally), and those opps are linked to a parent opp where our products are being sold. The referral opportunity has lookup fields for both the Account (the prospect that may buy) and the Partner Account record. When an internal sales person creates a referral opportunity, I would like to launch a workflow that notifies the Partner Account owner that the referral opportunity has been created. I don't seem to be able to access this field through any means in the Email Alerts setup.

- I don't want to send an email to the entire partner sales management team for each referral opp created...

- I thought about creating a formula field that pulls the Partner Account's Owner into a hidden field on the Opp, but the email alerts setup doesn't see a formula field as a "related user field", nor does it offer much option.

I'm sure this can be done through more complex means... but would like to avoid that if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!