function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WPCMSWPCMS 

Record Types: Creating validations and workflow actions for a specific record type

I am trying to set up validations and workflow actions for a specific case record type. we have internal cases for IT and external cases for customers.

When the record type is equal to "Internal" I want the validation or workflow to trigger. How do I set that up? I know how to create the formula but what field can I use for the record type? I can not find the record type field in the list but only a record type ID. I tried pulling the record type ID but SF syntax treats it as an error.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Steve :-/Steve :-/

Have you tried adding this to your VR?

$RecordType.Name = "RecordType"

All Answers

MinouMinou

Did you ever get an answer to this question or figure it out?  I am trying to do the same thing and so far having no luck.

Thanks!

Have you tried adding this to your VR?

$RecordType.Name = "RecordType"

This was selected as the best answer
MinouMinou

I have now....thanks!  I was trying to make it harder than it actually was.  :S

MinouMinou

I have another one....I want to create a workflow rule that updates a field when a specific Date/Time field is equal to or less than today's date.  Is this possible?

The field I am updating is a PICKLIST field called "G2 Stage"

The DATE/TIME field I am checking against is called "Candidate Start Date"

Thanks!

Are you trying to create a Time Dependant Workflow Action?  Or do you just want to evaluate the Date/Time if the user edits the record and then trigger the WFR?

MinouMinou

I am trying to create a Time Dependant Workflow Action......

I do have another topic posted that I am hoping to get help with too (I am just full of questions, aren't I full of them :) ).

Would you please mind taking a look and offer me any advice you may have?

Thank you so much!

MinouMinou

It might help if I TELL you what I am asking you to look at......

Custom Field update

;)

Okay Apex Code, Java, and Visualforce are way outta my leage, so I can't help you there. 

I'm kinda like a Salesforce Carpenter, gimme some wood and I can build you a house, but it will be cold, dark, and won't have running water (you need Electricians and Plumbers for that).

Is there a aprticular area that you are having trouble with? It sounds like it should be a pretty straight forward Workflow Rulewith a a Time-Dependant Workflow Action (update the Picklist Field) triggered by the "Candidate Start Date".

https://na3.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/creating_workflow_rules.htm#topic-title

MinouMinou

LOL!!! I am the same way. By no means am I a developer I don't even try to claim to be; but I can "borrow" code all day if someone is willing to share.  :)

Thanks for taking a look though.

MinouMinou

I am having a problem with finding the right Function and syntax to use for a Date/Time field.  I have figured out how to create the Workflow rule just using a Date field, it is the Date/Time that is the issue.

Here is the formula I am using for the Date field, but this does not work with a Date/Time field.

ISPICKVAL( Company_Stage__c , "Offer Accepted")   &&    Candidate_Start_Date__c  = TODAY()

Thanks!