function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Keith654Keith654 

Can a custom button added to a custom object defined in a managed package be itself packaged?

Posts like this:

http://community.salesforce.com/t5/AppExchange-Directory-Packaging/Can-Custom-Buttons-and-Links-be-packaged/m-p/141065

say that custom buttons and links can be packaged. Can anyone confirm and point to documentation on how to package a custom button added to a custom object from a managed package?

The Eclipse IDE will recognize a custom button added to say Contact, but it doesn't seem to recognize a custom button added to say xyz_CustomObject__c from a managed package. And I can't find any documentation that covers this case.

Thanks,

Keith

A_SmithA_Smith

Yes, these can be packaged.  

Keith654Keith654

Andrew,

Thanks for that confirmation and I can see my button in the "Add to Package" page under Component Type "Button or Link".

But what I don't understand is how to get that definition back into the Force.com IDE via the "Add/Remove Metadata Components..." so that I can then get it into SVN. The categories in that UI are different and do not include "Button or Link" at the root level and nothing is returned under "objects - custom".

Thanks,

Keith

A_SmithA_Smith

Not sure about the IDE.  Add them in the UI and then run a retrieve on the package from the IDE.  That should show you how they will appear in the XML format.  

Keith654Keith654

Yes thats what I tried and I didn't get any change in the XML in the IDE. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Keith