function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vipheviphe 

Referencing an unmanaged package from a managed package

Hi,

I have a managed package that relies on an unmanaged package. When I install this unmanaged package in my dev environment, all its components become prefixed by the name of my managed package. Eventually, they get all (or worse only the components referenced) uploaded with my classes.

This is quite inconvenient and annoying: I do not own the unmanaged package.

Is there a way to tell SFDC not to give my managed package ownership on the unmanaged package? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Philippe

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
A_SmithA_Smith

Hi Philippe,

Think of unmanaged packages as open source code.  If you are going to use it in your app, then it has to be part of your app.  Also, unmanaged packages are not upgradeable, so if you happen to find a bug in that open source code, then it is important that you can fix and upgrade your customers.  Thus, including it in your managed package allows you to do this. 

Thanks,

All Answers

vipheviphe

Alright, from what I read in another post, it seems that everything that doesn't have a namespace and isn't core SFDC becomes part of the managed package namespace.

Even if it makes no sense, I guess I will have to suffer it and try to find some work-around.

A_SmithA_Smith

Hi Philippe,

Think of unmanaged packages as open source code.  If you are going to use it in your app, then it has to be part of your app.  Also, unmanaged packages are not upgradeable, so if you happen to find a bug in that open source code, then it is important that you can fix and upgrade your customers.  Thus, including it in your managed package allows you to do this. 

Thanks,

This was selected as the best answer
vipheviphe

Hi Andrew,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Note that when including an unmanaged package into a managed package, there are quite some limitations as some elements might not be programmed with the namespace in mind (in web components, for instance). It can therefore a huge effort to integrate it.

Philippe