function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GuilesGuiles 

Package with free-trial and reinstalling

Hi,

I have a package using LMA. The package has a free trial.

It seems that if an organization uninstalls and reinstalls the package, the free trial period is renewed. Thus making possible with an easy manipulation to have an infinitely long free trial period.

Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks

aalbertaalbert

That is possible. There is no technical way to prevent it. Through LMA you can identify this since there will be more than 1 License record with the same "Subscriber Org Id." At that point, you can (a) disable the new trial through LMA (b) call the Lead and ask engage with them to why they are doing it to validate if you want to let them proceed or not. 

GuilesGuiles

Hi aalbert,

Thanks for your answer, however the behavior you describe is not the actual behavior (from what I can see in my testing). The same license object is reused, the license status goes from "Trial" (or "Active" -which has the same behavior) to "Uninstalled" when the organization uninstalls the package. Then,  when the license is installed again, the status goes back to "Trial", and the expiration date is set to N days in the future (N depending on your configuration). This seems to me as a serious flaw in LMA.

Moreover it seems to me that there are several simple ways to technically deal with the problem, like:

1. Not making possible to leave the "Uninstalled" status without some intervention of the package owne
  2. Not changing the expiration date when leaving the "Uninstalled" status

Thanks,