function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
r_boyd_848r_boyd_848 

Trialforce Management Organization v Trialforce Master Org

I'm just reading through the ISV documentation for Winter 12.  Whats the difference between a  Trialforce Management Organization and a Trialforce Org. I know what the latter is but I'm not sure what this new type of Org is?

It seems that a Trialforce Management Organization is place to setup branding and the custom login page, should this be the dev org from which the managed package is created. That is the org we currently setup email branding on.

What is a template v a snapshot? Our Trialforce Master Org has been upgraded to winter 12 but I can't see the new menu options

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
A_SmithA_Smith

You're close.  But the existing master org you have today doesn't go away.  You will continue to use it.  I would suggest a breakdown of orgs like this.

1.  Packaging org (aka released org) - continue to develop your package here.  Branding will no longer be managed here.

2.  Master org - this continues to exist as is.  No change.

3.  Management org (this would be a new org) - it allows you to configure branding (which is no longer linked to a specific package), create/manage your master organizations, and apply branding to your master organizations.  You will link your master organizations to this org so that you can manage them.  

So in the end, you will have three organizations, two of which you already have today and will continue to use.  The new one is the management organization.  

All Answers

A_SmithA_Smith

A Trialforce management org can be developer edition org where you would like to set up branding and be used to track all your Master organizations (formerly Trialforce orgs).  It's basically your management hub for everything related to trialforce from master creation to branding set up and assignment.  We'll be building out this org over the next few releases.  

A template and snapshot are the same thing.  

To get a Trialforce management org, decide which DE org you'd like to use to manage this process.  I would recommend creating a new one in most cases.  Then log a case in the partner portal to request it be enabled as a Trialforce management org.  

r_boyd_848r_boyd_848

In our case we have use Dev Orgs for day to day work. When we're getting ready to release we then use ANT to delploy to a Dev Org designated as a 'release' org, This is currently used to setup branding and then create the managed package. Once the package is uploaded we then install it into or Trialforce Master Org and then log a case to create a snapshot update.

If I understand what you've said we should get the Trialforce Management Organisation (TMO) feature enabled in the 'release' org. In which case this is where we need to do all the final tweaking to layouts etc. Is the current Trialforce Master Org approach to be phased out?

We have a quite a bit of pre-configured data in our Trialforce Master Org. (Our app advises medical clinics on vaccines for travelling to 'at-risk' countries so the are lots of complicated relationships going on betwen countries, diseases and vaccines). So we do we now make sure the TMO has this data now instead? I'm guessing the idea is that we can manage the entire process ourselves

A_SmithA_Smith

You're close.  But the existing master org you have today doesn't go away.  You will continue to use it.  I would suggest a breakdown of orgs like this.

1.  Packaging org (aka released org) - continue to develop your package here.  Branding will no longer be managed here.

2.  Master org - this continues to exist as is.  No change.

3.  Management org (this would be a new org) - it allows you to configure branding (which is no longer linked to a specific package), create/manage your master organizations, and apply branding to your master organizations.  You will link your master organizations to this org so that you can manage them.  

So in the end, you will have three organizations, two of which you already have today and will continue to use.  The new one is the management organization.  

This was selected as the best answer
r_boyd_848r_boyd_848

Ok I think I see where this is going. So the TMO basically allows my company to manage the branding on one or more Trialforce Orgs (and I assume packages aka AppExchange) I may manage. The release/packaging no longer preforms the branding role.

Thanks that's really helpful - hopefully others will find this post useful.