function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CarolinaCarolina 

Calculate renewal date from close date in an opportunity

Hi,

I need to calculate the renewal date of a membership from the membership's Start date in an opp. The renewal date depends on the number of terms in months (it can be 12 months, 24 months, 3 months, etc). This is the formula I have right now:

If(Day(  Start_Date__c   ) >1,
Date(Year(Start_Date__c   + 30* Membership_term_Months__c),
(Month(Start_Date__c   + 30* Membership_term_Months__c)+2)
, 1),
Date(Year(Start_Date__c  + 30* Membership_term_Months__c), (Month(Start_Date__c   + 30* Membership_term_Months__c)+1),1))

This works fine when months are from January to October, when it gets to December the month should be 13, which of course is not possible. And I get this message:

"Error:A workflow or approval field update caused an error when saving this record. Contact your administrator to resolve it.: Renewal Date: value not of required type: common.formula.FormulaEvaluationException: Month or Day out of range in DATE() function"

I don't know how to keep this formula, but with the condition that if Start date is 12/2/2009,  the term is 12 months, the value should be January:01/1/2011.

Thank you,

Carolina

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Steve :-/Steve :-/

Without getting into a really complex formula that figures out stuff like Current Month, Days in Month, Leap Year, etc.  You might want to try a formula like this:

(Start_Date__c) + Membership_term_Months__c * 30.4375

In this example Start Date is a Date field, and Membership Term is a Number(2,0) field.  Rather than trying to calculate the days in the month, leap year, etc.  I simplified it to 1 Year = 365.25 days, 1 Month  = 365.25 /12

Another thing you might want to look into is using Contracts, they have a built-in Renewal/Expiration date calculator that does exactly what you're trying to do here.  And it even has an auto-reminder feature.  

All Answers

Steve :-/Steve :-/

Without getting into a really complex formula that figures out stuff like Current Month, Days in Month, Leap Year, etc.  You might want to try a formula like this:

(Start_Date__c) + Membership_term_Months__c * 30.4375

In this example Start Date is a Date field, and Membership Term is a Number(2,0) field.  Rather than trying to calculate the days in the month, leap year, etc.  I simplified it to 1 Year = 365.25 days, 1 Month  = 365.25 /12

Another thing you might want to look into is using Contracts, they have a built-in Renewal/Expiration date calculator that does exactly what you're trying to do here.  And it even has an auto-reminder feature.  

This was selected as the best answer
Eli KiedrowskiEli Kiedrowski
Hey Steve, how can this formula be adjusted to account for leap year?