function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WellerHWellerH 

Make workflow field update show up BEFORE the save?

I have created a workflow rule to trigger a field update that works as intended, I assume, but isn't working for our users. The rule applies to all opportunities created on a certain account, changing the opportunity:type field to a particular value.

The problem is this doesn't actually show up for the user until they've saved the opportunity, so they either select something else and get confused when that selection changes (which is fine from a data management standpoint, but not to the user!), or don't realize the rule is there and select the necessary choice anyhow (then complain about having to remember to make that selection for that account, not knowing they really don't).

So, is there any way to trigger the field to update as a user selects "new opportunity" from within that particular account that I'm missing?
MSheridanMSheridan
I believe you will need to write an apex trigger that fires before the save. Workflow rules will not work in this case. Did you try default values? Or overriding the New Button on Opportunities? I think the trigger will be the cleanest...